Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- Do not eat or drink anything including water for eight hours prior to the scheduled appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home after recovery.
- Wear loose fitting clothing with either short sleeves or sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the procedure.
- If you take any oral medications, please check with Smile Country Dental prior to your surgical date for instructions.
Injection or intravenous (into a vein) methods require more experience to be administered and monitored properly. Injections and intravenous medications should be used only by dentists with extensive training in these techniques.
General anesthesia puts a patient into a deep sleep. He or she is unable to feel pain or to move around. General anesthesia may be recommended if the patient:
- Can't relax or calm down enough for treatment to be performed safely, even with conscious sedation and other behavior management techniques
- Needs oral surgery or other dental treatment that would be difficult for the patient to tolerate while awake
- Needs a lot of dental work that can best be done in one long appointment rather than many shorter visits
- Has a medical, physical or emotional disability that limits his or her ability to understand directions and be treated safely as an outpatient
Some general dentists have received training and a certification in general anesthesia, while others contract with an anesthesiologist. These professionals are trained to deliver the medications and monitor patients during the procedure and handle any complications that may occur.
Thank you so much. I avoid the dentist at all cost. Everyone made me feel welcomed and very comfortable. I will definitely be returning. Very friendly and experienced staff. Everyone there are very caring and gentle with fast appointment scheduling. I have been to many bad dentists before. I'm so glad I found this place! They also have a discount program if you have no dental insurance! I've already referred 3 people who will be making appointments, I believe one is there as we speak! It was actually FUN going to the dentist! I had no anxiety, no pain, and no problems! Best experience with DDS ever! I had a broken tooth requiring a crown. The process took two appointments - the first appointment I was fitted with a temp crown, the second appt the temp crown was replaced with a permanent. Both appts were great, the dentist and tech were super. My orthodontist is special. She conducts herself with charm and friendliness that are such reassuring traits helping me relax and be fully comfortable in her care. I trust her professional knowledge and skills without reservation. I am so very pleased that she is my orthodontist.